Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ever evolving social media ...

Facebook - ever changing - people are really up in arms over the updates. I personally think they were needed for a very long time. I've never been that fond of Facebook and for the first time it's gained my interest. It's really much more user friendly, gives you even more control over your own security, and it is now much less repetition and less redundancy and well, it's just more simple to use. So why are people complaining? I think they're reluctant to accept change, whether it's better or not doesn't matter.


If you think they're complaining now, wait until the big changes are implemented. I signed up to be a "Developer", as can you, if you desire, 

How to Enable the New Facebook Timeline NOW


so I could play around with the new version. I'd invite you to my page to see what it looks like, but unless you sign up too you will see the old version. So, I took a screenshot of my page so you could get a look at a quick page I assembled just to see what it would look like:




Bit different, huh?


I think it looks a lot like a blog. That's not good or bad, I mean you are reading this one. I think of Facebook for sharing photos, and events with friends and family for the most part, so a blog really makes a lot of sense. And the timeline feature to find older posts is pretty cool.


One thing to be aware of is that rumor has it that perhaps more of your information will be available to be sold - yeah, I know... they have to make money to provide us with a free service. You should already be aware of anything you put out there on any website or social media is sharing your information. So, I suggest that you just keep that in mind when you use it. Set your security to settings that make you feel a bit more comfortable. I still wonder though, how secure IS our information? I guess the conclusion is, if you're going to use it, the best practice is to just only put out there what you are willing to tell the world anyway.


If you want quick simple conversation use Twitter. I think the best interaction actually happens on Twitter. I use it for for everything possible, from keeping up on world events to customer support (which works very well matter of fact - make note of that!).  


I'm also very intrigued by the simplicity of Google+. If you've not signed up I highly recommend signing up for it as well. Most of the people I interact there with are social media gurus or those that just want to understand it all like me. 

Of course you can search for any subject or people to interact with on all three, so your experience could be different as to how you use them all. All : Facebook, Twitter and Google+ can serve a purpose.

How do you use them? Do tell!



2 comments:

Cathy said...

Janis,
I like the look of the new page. It does look more like a blog, but seems more like you could have your "story" there. I think you make an excellent point that anything we put on a social media site is really up for grabs. Security or not it is still out there. Looking forward to the new page.

Cathy

epsychic said...

Social networks truly evolves. Now, Google has Google+ and tries to win the hearts of many.

authentic psychic readings